Wednesday, August 17, 2005

~News Shorts from Long Weekend~

My long weekend is over and, I have to say, it was far more productive than I expected, but not as productive as it needed to be.

I got to my folks' house and spent a day putting together my dad's birthday present to my mom - a full length mirror on a wooden stand - working on Dad's computer and investigating why they can't make long distance phone calls from their land line home phone. I also got two loads of my laundry done and Max got to spend time with his Grandma and Grandpa. A fine time was had by all.

The sale of the painting was finalized and that is certainly a good thing! I was also able to spend some time staring at the new paintings that I've started. I'm not sure where these new ones are headed. Perhaps I really should try to crank out a few more in the style of the one that I just sold...in case there are some other buyers lurking around out there that want one of those beauties!

My workouts at the gym are progressing nicely. I think I have decided to forego the "before" photograph that I mentioned in an earlier post. I see no reason to subject myself or anyone else to such an un-pretty sight. I'm quite sure that within the next few months I'll be able to tell a difference and that's good enough for me. My most recent weight was 196.2 lbs. -- almost 4 lbs. down from my top weight of 200!!!

I had an appointment with my doctors on Tuesday. The most recent bloodwork came back a mixed bag - not an uncommon thing for me. My CD4 count, which reflects the number of healthy white blood cells in my system, was in the mid 700s, that's pretty darned good. Even close to normal. My viral load, an indicator of the amount of viral RNA in my system, was not as good, and this is a factor that I've had trouble with for quite a while. All other indicators seem to be a-okay, so I've got little to complain about.

Having gotten the word last week that health insurance rates are going up at the beginning of the year, I talked to the docs about the cost of my meds. When the copay goes up to 20% I'll have reached a point where I can't afford the damned pills. Of course, the irony is that I work for the hospital. I work in the health care industry but I cannot afford healthcare. Just a rough estimate puts my monetary output at around $800 every three months come January 1, 2006. That's almost $267 a month. Folks, I don't make that kind o' money! So, I got the name of a local agency that might be able to help with the copay. I have yet to call them, but you can be sure that I will!

Other things on the to-do list that haven't been done: get estimates on getting the front porch roof fixed, arrange to have the locust tree in the front yard removed (it's branches are tangled in the powerlines,) get estimate on the rest of the roof, get an estimate on getting the two Chinese Elm trees in the back yard removed, which will have to be done before the main roof is fixed and, (whew) talk to the bank about refinancing the house so that I can afford all of the repairs that are needed.

And I was asked the other day if I had a social life....

No comments: