Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Sometimes Things Work

In the June-July issue of Art in America there was a short article on page 51 about a new foundation that had been established by Louise T. Blouin MacBain for the purpose of "supporting creativity." Now, that seems right up my alley!

The website for the Louise T. Blouin Foundation,
Artinfo.com, was reached easily enough, but when I tried to register, to "sign up" for updates, etc., I found that the internet form would not accept my information. I got an error message stating that there had been an error and that I should try again later.

So, I tried later in the day. I got the same message. I tried that evening from home. Same message. And I tried again the next day, using several different flavors of web browsers, and still, the same message.

For some reason, I was determined to get put on their mailing list. I was adamant. I scanned the site for contact information for anyone that might be able to help. I found the email address for the Vice President of Technology for the foundation. Ah! Now she should be able to do something! So I whipped out an email to her outlining the specifics of the problem. I was polite and thorough. Then, I waited.

I guess I was expecting an email back from her but, no. There was only the silence only the internet can produce.

Early yesterday I decided to visit the site again. I got to the main page and everything seemed the way it had been on my last visit. Then, I followed the link to the "sign up" form.

"Error 404. The page cannot be displayed"

Yipppeee! Something was happening! I disconnected myself from my phone (a required workplace fashion accessory) and leapt into the air and danced a little dance!

I quickly regained my composure, realizing that my co-worker's perception of me was dangerously warped to begin with. No sense pushing it. I continued with my work-place chores.

It was nearing the end of my workday when I ventured to try the Artinfo website again. I found the address in my browser's address history and clicked.

"The requested site www.artinfo.com could not be found."


Huuuuaaahhh! Never before had I been so happy at the dysfunction of a product. The thing is, I had realized that something was broken that I could not fix, and by a simple act of communication it seemed as though someone, somehow, was doing something about it!

I tried again last night from home and got the same message.

tick tock tick tock tick tock

This morning I get into work. I boot the computers, I log into the phone system, I check emails, I take a call.... Then there is a pause. I check the personal email account from which I had contacted the Vice President of Technology. Nothing from her.

I take a deep breath. I enter the address into the web browser. I press ENTER and wait.

BOOM! The site comes up! I dare not cross my fingers because that makes it painfully difficult to type, so I just visualize the online form working....there it is....the form is back!

I put in my first name and press TAB....I put in my last name and press TAB....I put in my email address and click OK.

Thank you for registering with Artinfo.com....

Hallelujah! Sometimes things do work!

No comments: