Saturday, July 23, 2005

Shifting Into High Gear~~

Okay. The weblogs are on line and looking more and more like they belong to the DEStudios family. The gallery has been modified so that the background color matches the rest of the site and the brand new air conditioner has been installed and the house has stayed cool during the 105 degree (in the shade) heat that I measured on my back porch earlier today. And guess what? The unit was installed yesterday and the bill came today! Now there's a company that knows how to stay on top of things!

This coming Thursday is the "wine and cheese" reception that the Columbia Board of Realtors are giving for the artists exhibiting as a part of the Community Art Program. I, interestingly enough, am one of them. This is the first time I've exhibited outside of the Art League since I joined 3 years ago. This is the first time I've exhibited in a commercial location - ever!

I'm showing six paintings, all of which are in the gallery. The "Window" series and "Canal" and "Ocean Interface" represent my most recent work. A very different approach to painting even if I do say so myself. You can find some of my most recent musings on my philosophy of painting in this blog entry.

So, with this great opportunity I have several little things to get out of the way: I have to write, print and deliver to the exhibition site a "bio" and I have to redesign and print up a stack of business cards.

I'm not too fond of the whole process of marketing my work, even though this web site, this blog, this whole internet effort of mine is a part of that marketing behavior. And when it comes to writing a "bio" for myself, something that I've tried to do in the past, I tend to get caught up in the minor things and seem to lose sight of the "big picture."

I will, no doubt, post the bio once I have written it.

As for the business cards, well, I've got an idea of how to make them stand out and still be dignified. I want to seem dignified. Is that wrong?

Otherwise, it will be a chance to be on stage and hobnob with people that have the money to buy art. And I really need to sell some art! Especially since the bill for the air conditioner has already arrived!

No comments: