Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Visitor

I met someone online who, after just a few days tentative chatting disclosed that he was preparing to move across the country back to where his family lived. It took very little to convince him to make a stop here. The conversations were lucid, endearing and we both wondered out loud if it meant anything in particular.

After an eventful roadtrip, he arrived near penniless (because of repair costs) and tired. More handsome than I had anticipated and I, for my part, felt a connection. I knew quickly, though, that the feeling was not mutual. I didn't seem to click for him.

I did my best to be the best host I knew how, he was the perfect guest, and our short visit was accepted for what it was like two mature beings. No magic, no fireworks, just two guys that had experienced enough of the workings of the heat, the head and the heart to appreciate the ways of the universe.

After he left, I did feel a bit sad, and Max had taken a special liking to him. I received word from him just the other day that his health has taken a bad turn. My caretaker instinct wanted to kick in, but I knew that he was in the warm and caring hands of his family.

No comments: